Google

Friday, September 20, 2013

Return To Tomorrow.

When people think of British sci fi TV from the '70s they're most likely to think of Tom Baker era Doctor Who or Space: 1999.  But there was another somewhat successful series that will be unfamiliar to many. The Tomorrow People ran from 1973 to 1979, and revolved around a group of young people with psychic powers, which marked them as the next stage of human evolution.  I saw a few episodes on CBC at come point, but it was never a major part of my childhood.   There was also a brief revival in the 1990s.

Not being a part of the fandom I was surprised when I saw that a new American version is about to debut.  On The CW of all places.   An American revival of a show unknown to most American viewers seems an odd move.  I would assume the rights to the series were probably cheap.  As you can imagine some fans of the original are not looking forward to this.  They probably don't have to worry, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if the series doesn't last much longer than the 5 episodes apparently already in the can.

No comments: