Google

Monday, May 09, 2005

In an effort to clean up some of the clutter around here I spent quite a bit of today going through old magazines (pretty much all music mags) to cut out the articles I'm still interested in and disposing of the rest. There's really no point in keeping a hundred pages of paper around when you only want 15 or 20. But I had a rather interesting moment of realisation when I noticed something about the stuff from the '80s and early '90s. A complete lack of internet related things. No e-mail addresses or urls. Compare this with today, when even the smallest of record labels and the most of obscure of artists will at the very least have an e-mail address, if not a website. I haven't even noticed contact information for the computer networking organisations that did exist at the time like Compuserve or Fidonet. In 15 years its all gone from a fringe activity largely unfamiliar to most of society to an ubiquitous presence. I suppose people in early 1930s must have felt something the same when they went through old magazines and newspapers they wanted to throw out and noticed the absense of mentions of radio broadcasts.

No comments: