Google

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cable Craziness

I've written before about the guilibility of some audiophiles.  They'll spend ridiculous amounts of money on stuff that supposedly improves their audio systems.  Today I came across another example. 

Chances are you're the owner of at least a couple of USB cables.  After all if you're reading this you probably own a computer, and chances are you own at least one device that needs a USB cable to connect it to your computer, like a camera or MP3 player.  Bujt if you believe the folks at the Locus Design Group your current USB cable likely isn't good enough.  Instead you need something like their Cynosure USB cable.  The price?  A mere 3549 dollars for a 3 foot cable.

Reading the blurb methinks the designer of this thing doesn't have a clue how USB devices work.  Of course the potential customers likely don't either.  After all they're the same kind of people who think that replacing a metal knob with a wooden one will make an audible difference.  And no doubt Locus will have happy customers who will rave about how the "stage" of their audio has improved, and how this was the best 3549 bucks they've ever spent.

Nice money if you can get it.

1 comment:

Brent McKee said...

Here's something that I was told when I got my DVR and wanted to get an HDMI cable to connect it to my TV. My audiophile brother was saying how those things were super-expensive. I mentioned this to the cable installer and he told me to go to OTV. They had the cables I needed for a fraction of the cost that they were charging for Monster Cables at Future Shop. For sort runs the cheap cables are fine.