Google

Friday, July 23, 2010

Who Missed It, Me Or Them?

Over the years I've read and heard about a lot of conspiracy theories.  The flaws in them are obvious, but they often do show a certain level of creativity.  But one idea came to mind that I'm surprised I've never heard of.  In the late '70s and '80s large numbers of people in Southeast Asia, primarily Vietnamese, fled their homelands by boat, resulting in a refugee crisis and the creation of the term boat people.  Large numbers of these refugees settled in the United States.  Given the effect the Vietnam War had on American society I'm surprised I've never run across any conspiracy theories related to these refugees.  You'd think someone would have claimed that the refugees were participants in some sort of plot against the US.  South East Asian refugees did face problems of racism and cultural clashes with local populations, but I've never heard anyone go beyond this to create a conspiracy theory about them.  Or have I just missed them? 

No comments: