Google

Monday, August 13, 2007

Time To Stock Up?

For the past year or so I've been hearing talk of the death of the CD, whether because of digital downloads or because some new "hard copy" audio format will replace them. The thought came to mind that if these predictions come to pass perhaps that means I should consider stocking up on CD players. After all if the CD is doomed that means sooner or later the prices for them will plummet as demand falls. Therefore eventually there should be tonnes of new CDs dirt cheap, just like you could find oodles of cassettes of various things dirt cheap in the late '90s and early '00s. And despite the horror stories that popped up in the past I've had no problems with my older CDs rotting away. New CD players themselves can be had for pretty damn cheap. So I could buy 5 or 10 portables, stick 'em in a closet someplace, and just crack out a new one as they wear out. If you keep them in the package they should remain usable indefinitely until you actually begin to use them. By the time I run out of players either the CDs will have gone kaput or I'll have gone kaput. Hmmm, we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: