Google

Monday, March 19, 2007

867-5309=$2.60

If you're old enough to remember the early '80s you may remember the song "867-5309/Jenny" by the group Tommy Tutone. The song peaked at number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1982. As you might imagine when the song became a hit that phone number caused a lot of trouble for phone companies across North America. People phoned it to find out what was on the other end, much to the chagrin of whoever had the number at the time. Other people tried to get the number assigned to them by the phone company. Somehow I got thinking about the song today, and having a bit of time while waiting for a bus I dialed the number into a pay phone. When I did the digital display on the phone asked me to deposit $2.60. I have no idea why it did that, and you'll forgive me if I don't potentially waste $2.60 trying it from my home phone to see what happens if you do dial it. I've seen a couple of sites online that claim it's inactive for this area code, 306, so perhaps it's simply set up so that pay phones give out that ridiculous price so people won't phone the number.

No comments: