Google

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I was just listening to side 2(as it was on the original LP) of King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic. It had been a long time since i'd listened to "The Talking Drum," and tonight I found the first 2 or 3 minutes of that track sounded a lot like Can, which I'd never noticed before. It was the combination of the drum sounds and what Bill Bruford and Jamie Muir were playing, along with John Wetton playing a repeating bass figure, that reminded me of Can, although the track eventuals moves in a less Can-ish direction as Fripp makes his prescence felt. Its probably nothing more than coincidence. I've never read anything from the members of Crimson that indicates they were influenced by what Can was doing, although I would hardly be surprised if they crossed paths with Can along the way. Then again Bill Bruford was always a big jazz fan, and Can's Jaki Liebezeit was a jazz drummer before he hooked up with Can, so perhaps some parellel influences were at play.

No comments: