Google

Friday, February 02, 2018

Needs More Optimuming.

Yesterday saw the beginning of the PC Optimum loyalty program.  It unites the previous loyalty programs of Loblaws brands, such as PC Points and Shoppers Optimum Points, into a single program.  But the software still needs some tinkering.  Not surprisingly there were a few glitches yesterday, but some of them seem to have continued into today.  I went to Real Canadian Superstore on 8th Street to pick up a couple of things.  When I was paying I whipped out my shiny new PC Optimum card, which I picked up yesterday.  But instead of giving me a new point total for my account the bill stated my balance was unavailable, and "Your account will be updated within 24 hours."  Oops.

It's not that much of a surprise though.  The various brands owned by Loblaws have a giant customer pool.  For example Shoppers Drug Mart has more than 1300 stores across the country.  So a lot of people have been replacing their existing loyalty cards and starting new accounts since early yesterday.  The strain on the system will be considerable. 

No comments: