Google

Friday, May 19, 2006

Yes, A Post About That Film.

Honestly, I'm not posting about The Da Vinci Code movie, coming to a theatre near you, to boost my hit count. Honest. But a few comments did come to mind.

I haven't read Dan Brown's book, and I won't be going to see the movie. I'm sure I did read Holy Blood, Holy Grail at some point. You may remember that its authors tried to sue Brown for plaigarism. I still wonder how you can sue a work of fiction for plaigarising a work of supposed non-fiction, barring it copying block paragraphs without attribution.

Ian McKellen, who appears as Sir Leigh Teabing in the movie, has said the Catholic Church should support the movie. After all it shows that Jesus wasn't gay, like some folks claim. McKellen is himself gay.

Roger Ebert gave the film a positive review. To me this phrase stuck out: "I know there are people who believe Brown's fantasies about the Holy Grail, the descendants of Jesus, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei, and the true story of Mary Magdalene. This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane." Ouch, Rog. That's a nasty one! Of course it probably is true with some folks.

Ebert seems to be in the minority however. Rotten Tomatoes currently has the film rated at a dismal 18 percent.

No comments: