Google

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Hmmm, just looking at the actual results of using this thing, and I notice that there's no leave a comment link. And dontcha just love the gigantic font size for the title of this thing? Someone will probably go "deaf" reading that thing.

Tonight I was using one of those EVIIIIIIL download programs to download an old Yes video to the song "It Can Happen," off their highly successful 1983 album 90125. I just watched it and for the life of me I can't remember ever seeing this thing before. Yet surely I must have, as I watched several Canadian video shows regularly in the early-mid '80s and surely it must have been played at least a few times. If you watched any amount of music videos in those days you likely ran across the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" video more than a few times, and the gimmicky video for "Leave It" is hard to forget. But this one, if I did see it, left no impression. Then again its pretty generic, so that may not be a surprise.

In the period between oh say 1983 and 1986 there must have been at least a half dozen video programs on Canadian tv that I managed to see. I had no access to cable tv at the time so I didn't see the early days of Muchmusic. The longest running one was CBC's Good Rockin' Tonite, which was originally hosted by Terry David Mulligan before he went on to Muchmusic. It ran late Friday nights, and this was sometimes exploited to good effect, such as when they played Ultravox's eerie antinuclear war video to their song "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" as their last video one episode. Another one that I can actually remember the title of is Rock and Roll Video, which included the host doing comedy bits between videos. I remember him looking and behaving a lot like Jim Carrey, but Carrey had already gone to Hollywood when this thing was airing, so its extremely unlikely it was him.

No comments: